Chickpeas are a regular snack here in our house. Here are two of our favourite recipes which are easy to prepare.
Weddin Farms Hummus
- 450g of Weddin Farms chickpeas, presoaked
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon tahini (optional but preferred)
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and blend until it is smooth. Add a small amount of water for a creamier dip.
- Serve with your choice of crackers or crusty bread, salad and slow roasted lamb for a great alternative to a BBQ.
Oven Roasted Chickpeas
For this recipe you will need pre-soaked chickpeas.
- 2 cups Weddin Farms chickpeas, presoaked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 220OC
- It is important to make sure that the chickpeas are completely dry before roasting. We use a salad spinner. Alternatively you could pat the chickpeas dry with a clean tea towel.
- Pour the well dried chickpeas onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Turn the chickpeas with a spoon and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven when they are crisp but watch closely they can burn easily.
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, rosemary and sea salt.
- Pour chickpeas into the bowl and mix gently to coat the chickpeas with the herb mix.
- Pour the chickpeas back onto the baking tray and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container and use for a pre-dinner, lunch boxes, or as an added extra with soup.
- Experiment with your own herb or spice mix. We also use rosemary, sea salt and zested lemon, or paprika and cumin.
If you would like more information about preparing your chickpeas, please see our January 2013 newsletter or if you don't have a copy, please drop us an email we'll send it through to you.
Category: Recipes4 Comments